Monday, November 29, 2010

Chicken with bamboo shoots curry

Description:

              This dish is mostly made in North-Eastern India(particularly Nagaland). This curry is so healthy. It doesnot require any type of  spices or masalas. Pork with bamboo shoots is also very tasty and popular dish. Lets check out the recipe.

Ingredients:
1. Chicken
2. Bamboo shoots - 1/2 cup
3. Green chilli - 3
4. Dry red chili flakes
5. Cherry Tomatoes - 3
6. Ginger
7. Garlic
8. Onions(optional)
9. Spring oinions
10. Salt

Procedure:
          First clean the Chicken and keep aside. Add some salt to it. Next cut the Onions into thin slices. Crush the ginger and garlic. Slit the greenchilies. Now cooking part, it will be good if we cook it in a skillet or something instead of using cooker. But to save time I actually cooked in cooker. First pour 1/2 tsp of oil into the cooker, then add the greenchilis, chili flakes, crushed ginger and garlic. Stir it for few seconds then add the onions. Saute it till transparent then add the tomatoes, Spring oinions. Next bamboo shoots will go in. Stir it well, then add the Chicken . we can add little water if more gravy is required. Close the cooker lid, cook it till 3-4 whistles goes and the curry is perfectly ready to be served. This curry goes good with hot rice.

8 comments:

  1. This is my all time favorite chicken curry. Our ingredients are the same but most Nagas (authentically) avoid using oil-we rely on the chicken(thanks to the skin) to produce it's flavorsome fat.
    What I usually do is clean the chicken and put it on a pot (we use clay ones when home). Then add half a litre of water, the green chillies, the smashed ginger and garlic, salt, fresh bamboo shoot and 1 potato. Cover the lid tight and let it cook in low flame for 45 mins to 1 hour and serve it with hot rich and maybe be crispy fried bitter gourd and chutney.
    The slow cooking when firmly covered mixes and brings out this amazing yummy taste overall.

    **Same thing for pork as well but in stead of green chillies, use chilli powder. Remember, the trick is not to stir till when just about to serve.

    Love your blog. Looking forward to more. Will be glad to give in more authentically self-modified Naga recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ami...thanks for ur comments...ya, this dish will be more tasty if made in clay pots, bt unfortunately I donn`t get it at my place, sp have to adjust :( ...perfectly there is no need to add oil if we use the Chicken skin, bt I donn`t use Chicken skin so just add a bit of oil....I will add the recipe for Pork also very soon...Keep on visiting my blog...Thanks again..hav a good day.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking for a recipe of chicken with bamboo shoot to make for my wife. I will try yours and see how it goes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are different techniques to cook chicken with bamboo shoot chicken.... but i want to knw hw to make chicken pickle or dried pork with bamboo shoot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    Thank you for your comment but I have to apologise deeply because the place where I live dried pork is not available. So I fear I won`t be able to cook any dried pork recipes but when I go back to India where its easily available in the northeastern states, I will definetly cook and share the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If cooked with oil, this dish tastes best with mustard oil. A dash of turmeric also adds great colour!

    I make bamboo shoot chicken/pork whenever I'm in need of some light comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Önemli giriş adreslerine buradan ulaşabilirsiniz.
    betturkey giriş
    betpark giriş
    BME6ZA

    ReplyDelete